2011 - 2017 All Rights Reserved The Pinhey's Point Foundation
Site designed and maintained by Vital Designs
ARTIFACTS
EXHIBITS
THE PINHEY'S POINT FOUNDATION
Horaceville
Horaceville

HORACEVILLE, the residence of the Hon. Hamnett Pinhey, was named for Pinhey's eldest son. In keeping with British aristocratic practice, young Horace was intended from the start to be the heir to the property.
The house was built in four stages, from north to south.
(Pinhey's Point Foundation)
The original house, built in 1820-1821, was "a nice tasty cottage with viranda [sic]". It was a two-storey log building, covered with clapboard. To the rear was a square stone kitchen with hip roof.
In the early 1970s the remains of the log cottage collapsed. The stone kitchen behind was dismantled for safety reasons and the ruin, stabilized.
(Library and Archives Canada NMC-22119)
From 1822-25 a stone parlour wing was added. Upstairs were three small bedrooms, probably servants' quarters, opening off a wide hallway-sitting room. The house is pictured at this stage of development in a rare print of a sketch done by Mary Anne Pinhey in the 1830s.
(Library and Archives Canada, C-40792)
In 1841, Pinhey began to look ahead to the day Horace would marry and take over the farm. He planned a large addition in two stages.

The central hall-kitchen wing was built in 1841-42, with a gracious sweeping staircase leading upstairs to a dining room at the head of the stairs and a bedroom over the front entrance.

The new kitchen wing to the rear was to become Mrs. Pinhey's kitchen when a daughter-in-law took over the older part of the house.
(Pinhey's Point Foundation)
(Pinhey's Point Foundation)
In the nineteenth century, the Pinhey house had been expanded to accommodate a growing family. In the twentieth century, it was home to an aging family and the side wings were boarded up.
(Hal Miller for the Ottawa Journal, May 31, 1941)
The family rejected proposals to make HORACEVILLE the home of a Hollywood actress or a summer residence for the Governor General. HORACEVILLE remained the Pinhey family farm until the 1970s. In the end, Miss Ruth Pinhey alone occupied the deteriorating central wing of her ancestors' great house. She died in 1971.
(National Capital Commission, c. 1971)
On August 21, 1847, Horace Pinhey married Kate Greene at neighbouring St. Mary's Church, and in September work began to enlarge the old stone kitchen to better serve the young couple.

In 1848-49 the final, south wing was added, including a library, pantry, and drawing room on the ground floor. Upstairs, several bedrooms and an interesting second-storey privy, which Pinhey called the "sanctum sanctorum", Latin for "the holy of holies", were added.
Horace and Kate moved into the older part of the house and took over management of the farm, turning over half the produce each year to his parents. Hamnett retained control of the gardens and moved with wife Mary Anne and daughter Constance into the newer part of the house.

At Hamnett Pinhey's death in 1857 he willed the new half of the house to daughter Constance. However, she married her cousin John Hamnett Pinhey and moved to Bytown (Ottawa) shortly thereafter, deeding her inheritance to Horace.
The Pinhey's Point Foundation
Dunrobin (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada
The Pinhey's Point Foundation

270 Pinhey's Point Road
RR#1
Dunrobin, Ontario
K0A 1T0

Tel: 613-832-1249
HORACEVILLE
PPF Merchandise
Interested in becoming a member?  Click Here....